- 06 Mar 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
New PDF Builder: Getting started with the PDF Builder
- Updated on 06 Mar 2023
- 2 Minutes to read
To use the old PDF Builder, see Create template-based documents.
This article gives an overview of how to use the PDF Builder to create a PDF template.
What can you do with the PDF Builder?
The PDF Builder enables you to transform a static PDF contract or form into a PDF template that can be completed in a Lightico session. The following features can be incorporated into the PDF template:
- Obtaining a legally binding customer signature or approval
- Collecting customer information through a user friendly digital form
- Tagging customer information with attributes for reuse in a session or mapping to your CRM
- Including multiple additional participants who also provide signatures, approval, and information
Configure a template in the PDF Builder
The instructions below give you a general idea of how to create and configure a PDF template. See subsequent articles for more explanations of specific and advanced features of building a template.
To configure a PDF template:
- In the Admin navigation pane, click Shared Items.
The Share items page opens.
- Click the upload icon for the relevant directory and upload a PDF. The Uploading item window appears.
- Click Try our new editor.
The document opens in the PDF Builder.Note:You can also click Create a PDF Template from the Admin Home page. You are taken right into the PDF Builder where you can upload a PDF and start building. When you save the template, you'll choose a directory.
- Select an interactive field type to add to the template in one of the following ways:
- When adding one interactive field at a time: right-click the template and select a field type from the context menu.
- To add multiple fields of the same type one after the other: select a field type icon from the right tool bar.
- Click and drag to render and position the field.
- To reposition a field, drag it or use the arrow keys.
- Edit all aspects of your template using the following controls:
- Pages overview tab - View thumbnails of all document pages and jump to any point in the template.
- Participants tab - Add participants and manage grouping of the participants (see Add multiple participants to a document).
- Formatting tab - Define default field formatting, input language, custom wording template, and more (see Configure template settings).
- Template settings tab - General settings for the document as a whole (see Configure template settings).
- PDF/Form - Toggle between viewing the document (PDF) only and viewing the customer form (wizard) alongside the document (see Design the customer form).
- Participants - View all template participants and change the active participant for editing.
- Field properties panel - Select a field to display and configure properties for that field (see Configure fields).
- Field context menu - Appears when a field is selected. Format field text, change the participant to which the field is associated, and delete or duplicate the field.
- To change the name of the template file, click inside the template name in the top left corner and edit the name.
- When you're finished editing, click Publish or Save Draft to save your work without making it available to agents yet.